Saturday 11 April 2015

Launch Party

For the last 4 years or more I have been focussed on the daunting task of actually finishing a book. There had been several false starts spread out over my working life, and I'm proud to have finally created something with not just a beginning, but a middle and an end.

However, like trudging up a mountain, you get to the top and then find another peak ahead. What seemed like the summit  turns out to be the beginning of the next huge task: Editing. Every time you go through the work you find things that could be done better, until slowly the mist ahead clears and you can see the peak:  Publication. At last all is agreed, the book appears in print and on  the web. Whew! Job Done!

Oh no. Of course not; nobody wants to be the author of a book which hardly sells any copies. There is yet another uphill struggle: Marketing, and that is where I am now. Within the framework provided by Cambria Books the actual nitty-gritty of selling books is down to me, and the competition is massive. How do I get people's attention in this age of information surfeit?

I got a bit depressed about this and wondered if I would have to fork out money I can't afford to pay a publicist. NO! Come on you, One last effort! I spent some time trying out different ideas, got some good advice and have now planned a marketing campaign which will begin with a LAUNCH PARTY.

Anyone reading this is invited, and I hope you will come and sample the drinks and snacks, listen to me reading extracts, take advantage of a special launch offer, but above all engage in some discussion. One of the main purposes of the books after all is to stimulate debate. Here's the details:

Launch Party for THE VANDERVELDE DOCUMENTS
Ty Jarman, Cilycwm, Llandovery SA20 0SS
3:30 pm to 6pm


No comments:

Post a Comment